“If you don’t like to read, you haven’t found the right book.” JK Rowling
Over the years I have dabbled at a variety of hobbies but the one I love most is reading! I believe that all children can learn to love reading if they have the right help, encouragement, and books! This starts when they are young and we pull them into our laps to share a fun picture book or have them sit on the floor with milk and cookies while we read aloud. As they get older, we teach them to read the books for themselves. Then we begin helping them find books that they can enjoy on their own.
*Some of the links in my posts may be affiliate links see below for more information. *
I have included a list of a few of our favorites for each age range as well as a list of non-book ideas for your budding reader. This list is by no means exhaustive but hopefully you can find something your reader would enjoy. In some ways this list was quite easy and in some ways, it is the hardest list I’ve written. There are so many wonderful books that it made it hard to share just a few good ones for each age level. If you want even more recommendations make sure to check out Blogging Through The Alphabet with Books!!, our book reviews, 5 Days of For the Love of Reading and 2019 Book List.
Gift Ideas For Your Budding… Reader
- “That’s Not My” Series (These books are great for the various textures and repetitive words. My children love them from infants up through early elementary grades.)
- Shine-a-Light Books (These books are excellent for preschoolers. You use a flashlight to see hidden items on the pages and learn more.)
- Only You Can Be You (this new book about celebrating our differences is Sally Clarkson’s first children’s book. )
- Otis Books (This lovable tractor is a family favorite.)
Early Elementary Ages
- Bobbsey Twins Series (or try the first 15 in the series on Kindle for less than $1)
- Imagination Station (They are one of several Adventures in Odyssey book series that we love.)
- Llama Llama Books
- Amelia Bedilia (These were fun but helpful for my daughter who took things very literally when she was younger. It helped her understand various figures of speech.)
- Secret of the Hidden Scrolls (think Magic Treehouse with Bible Stories)
- Cranberry Christmas (This series is a family favorite for reading aloud.)
- Mandie Series
- Who Was Books…
- FaithGirlz Books (There are several series in this grouping that follow different girls through their various adventures. )
- Wind in the Willows
- Nancy Clancy
- From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E Frankweiler ( I loved this one as a child and now my daughter loves it. )
- Harriet the Spy
- Heroes Next Door: Hornet 24
- The Penderwicks
- Green Ember Series
- YWAM Biographies
- My Side of the Mountain( We recently read this book and they loved it so much I ordered the sequel)
- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
- Wilderking Trilogy
- Mr. Lemoncello’s Library (These are quite silly but had my kids laughing hard. They would also be good for upper elementary grades.)
High School/ Adult
- Chronicles of Narnia (these are also great on audio as a family listen)
- Read Aloud Family (inspiration to read more!)
- Sally Clarkson Books (Lifegiving Home is one of my favorites)
- Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter
- Book Girl (There are some amazing book lists included with each chapter.)
Non Book Gift Ideas
- Mug (a friend got me this one and I use it almost every morning for chocolate milk, hot cocoa, or hot tea)
- Book Marks ( I have not tried them yet but these feather ones look like fun.)
- Book Darts
- Amazon Gift Card and Bookmark in One
Be sure to check back for each of the posts this week relating to a different interest. If there are other interests or ideas that you have, please feel free to share them. You can also check out Educational Christmas Ideas (that don’t feel like school supplies), Clutter Free Christmas Ideas, and Twelve Christmas Adventures for clutter free Christmas ideas. If you have other interests or hobbies that you would like to see included, please share in the comments.
Resource Library and Affiliate Disclosure
When you sign up for the Schoolin’ Swag free resource library you will get a link and password to the library, we are adding to the library each month with new items. You will also get a bi-weekly newsletter email to keep you up to date on what we have going on.
This post may contain affiliate or referral links, including Amazon affiliate links. As always I will never recommend a product that I don’t believe in and you will never be charged more for purchasing through our links. It does help pay for the costs associated with the blog.
Deals and Freebies
Not Consumed has a special early sale on their new Bible studies! Sale ends today!
Evan-Moor is having a 40% off sale on their e-books. use code: VDAY40
The Old Schoolhouse is running a great special on their magazine! $19 for a year’s subscription and some fun digital curriculum as a bonus.
Sally Clarkson just launched her newest book, a devotional for moms! You can purchase it at Amazon now .
Free Makeover Your Morning 5 Day Challenge! This is a great way to help re-focus and get your day off on the right foot.
Harry The Happy Mouse (Free on Kindle)
Illustrated Would You Rather Book (Free on Kindle)
Enrichment Studies has a great free fine arts memory match game this month!
Free Help Your Child’s Memory Book from All About Learning Press!