What comes to your mind when you think of October? Aside from my birthday (which you should all celebrate with a big glass of chocolate milk or a cupcake), I think about fall, the fair, and pumpkins!
*Some links are affiliate links, see disclosure below*
Don’t unfollow me, but I do not love pumpkin spice. I do, however, love pumpkins. Pumpkin bread, pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin oatmeal, pumpkin butter, and pumpkin cookies! You might already know that I love cooking and often make treats from scratch. However, I also am a big fan of knowing when you simply need to drop back and make a memory from a box mix.
Simple Pumpkin Cookies
Today, I want to share this super simple recipe for pumpkin cookies that you can pair with a good pumpkin book for a tasty storytime family treat. They are good plain, but they are outstanding if you add a little bit of glaze to the top! We recently realized that we could take a bag of Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie Mix (mixed per the instructions on the bag) and add in half a can of pumpkin puree to make an excellent pumpkin cookie.
You could also use the cookie mix per the instructions and roll them, and cut them out in the shape of pumpkins. We originally planned to cut out the pumpkin cookies, but they are too loose for cut-out cookies and need to bake as drop cookies.
For the glaze, we used about a cup of powdered sugar with a teaspoon of milk. If you are not familiar with making glazes, be sure to add liquid slowly because it does not take much. You can add in what you need until you get to the consistency that you want.
We simply baked the cookies (with the pumpkin puree) according to the package directions. Let them cool for about 30 minutes, and then added the glaze. It tasted like fall!
Once you have your cookies, you can settle down for a bit of fall storytime. There are so many great books about fall or set in the fall.
A Few of Our Favorite Pumpkin and Fall Books
- Spookley the Square Pumpkin is a delightful book about being different. There is even a short movie version available!
- Pumpkin Runner is a fun, heartwarming story with great morals.
- Duck and Goose Find a Pumpkin is an adorable board book for your youngest readers.
- Cranberry Autumn (From one of our favorite picture book series.)
- The Berenstain Bears and the Prize Pumpkin is a good book with a lesson on being grateful.
- The Berenstain Bears Harvest Festival is a fun fall book that reminds us to praise God for our blessings.
Chapter Books with Fall Themes
- Charlotte’s Web with the fair themes can be a great one for fall! You can also watch the movie! Just don’t forget the tissues because it always makes me cry.
- Anne of Green Gables includes one of my favorite fall quotes, “I am so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.”
If you want a little more pumpkin fun, check out this blog post with lots of ideas or this great pumpkin art lesson from You Are An Artist Chalk Pastels.
Share your favorite fall or pumpkin books in the comments, and tell me if you try the cookies!
Resource Library and Affiliate Disclosure
When you sign up for the Schoolin’ Swag free resource library you will get a link and password to the library, we are adding to the library each month with new items. You will also get a bi-weekly newsletter email to keep you up to date on what we have going on.
This post may contain affiliate or referral links, including Amazon affiliate links. As always I will never recommend a product that I don’t believe in and you will never be charged more for purchasing through our links. It does help pay for the costs associated with the blog.
One thought on “Easy Pumpkin Cookies and Storytime Ideas!”